Anyone who has worked with me in the last 2 years knows I’m a big Houzz.com fan. Why? Houzz helps home building, remodeling and design professionals build their brand and connect with 40+ million users every month. It’s where your clients are! If I could get your interior design, landscape or home remodeling photos in front of your customers, it simply makes them more valuable to you. Bingo, Jim stays in business another year. When we first joined the houzz community, our goal was simple:
Make our photos appear in the search results for as many of your potential client’s searches as possible.
That’s it. Two years later we have accomplished our goal. We appear #1 in the United States and #2 in the world. Jim Schmid Photography is the top ranked photographer on houzz and our clients project photos are currently the most popular. Our photos have been saved by prospective customers over 100,000 times.
Hiring a professional photographer is a great first step to any marketing campaign. I believe the commercial photographers product has little business value unless it can positively influence your prospects. To influence they must first be seen and that is where our Houzz ranking matters. As the #1 design and residential photographer, our photos of your projects will appear higher in searches. Target homeowners in your community and increase visibility for your business. From my perspective I see two choices to increase your exposure.
- Pay the money. Advertising is great for newcomers to Houzz if they don't mind the extra monthly investment. I estimate this will cost you about $500 a month or $6000 a year. Your SEO will improve but what if you don’t have that kind of budget?
Rise organically. This option can be more effective in my opinion and well, organically just sounds healthier. I define “organic” as “true and real popularity; appearing prominently in a search engine based on a standard algorithm vs a fee.” By following a few simple steps as outlined on several blogs including houzz itself you can improve your position too.
Why do I think organic is better? You can try a test I think indicates this is the case.
1. Input the search terms and parameters into Houzz that you anticipate your customers will use to search for your service. In this example I searched “Interior Designers & Decorators” within 50 miles of greater Charlotte NC. 875 businesses appear on houzz using this search criteria.
2. Notice that Lucy and Company appear at the top of the list followed by Lauren Nicole Designs. Loftus Design is #3. Anywhere on page one is a great position and #3 is a fantastic place to be.
3. This is where the actual test come in. Refresh the current page of your internet browser. Chrome and Explorer users can just type “command/ctrl + R”.
Lucy and Company retained the top position and Loftus Design is #3 but the second and fourth position changed. Why? I believe that Lucy and Company rose organically and am certain Loftus Design did. Bridget Loftus is one of our clients, we tag all her projects and her images get saved thousands of times. But, Bridget is not a paid subscriber. She does incredible work and we shoot all her jobs so she rises organically. Sorry Houzz bank account, this one’s on us. Keep refreshing this page and you will see this pattern repeat itself.
4. Now for the not so secret, secret. Houzz sells these spots to multiple vendors. If you promise multiple people a top ten spot you must rotate that position.
Now I will let you in on the real secret. Hire Jim Schmid Photography to be shoot your next project and we will do most of the hard work for you. Free of charge. Not only will we tag your images properly we will even upload them for you under your profile. You just sit back and let us promote you. By simple association with the #1 ranked photographer on houzz, your images will rise organically. Will it happen overnight? No, but you have to start sometime. That sometime is now.
So if you want to guarantee a top ten spot and increase your odds of your profile resulting in a potential sale, pay the nice folks at houzz for this privilege. Just start by hiring a professional commercial photographer.